Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dear Raindrop

We are officially separate people.
Last Thursday I left you for the first time since I discovered you were in my womb.
I kissed your cheek and walked away, holding your older sister's hand,
remembering 4.5 years ago when she was your age.
There was a deep and definite pang in the leaving
and the giving up.
And there was you - smiling good-bye - innocent and unaware.
While I was away the busyness of time kept tears at bay.
When I came home and saw your face, wanting nothing more than
to hug and squish noses, you turned from me and clung to Papa,
and then I let the tears flow freely.
It is a new stage, and you are no longer my little baby.
No, you are growing and determined,
Eager, and exuberant,
and I am looking forward to knowing you
in a new way.

1 comment: