Thursday, April 11, 2013

Maple Syrup with Tammy

Recycled outdoor stove

First boiling stove on the right, second on the left

Feeding the fire

Carrying new buckets to collect the fresh sap

Bucket that's been collecting sap overnight

Tammy explaining the process to the big kids

Fresh sap (I didn't know it started out clear)

Straining out all the little flies and bugs


The strained sap goes into the first boiler pan

It'll boil here for hours and hours

The second boiler pan - after it's gone through several boilings.  All of a sudden it's brown!

No way...I can't believe how delicious this stuff is.

Let me just get a little taste

Spigot from side of second boiler pan drains  almost ready syrup into big kitchen pot


Just one more taste

Let me help!!

I'm in pure maple heaven!

Sterilizing the jars

Final boil - this time to a specific temperature

And finally pouring the ready syrup into the sterilized jars

No comments:

Post a Comment