Saturday, June 1, 2013

New York

Two weeks ago I had the privilege of accompanying Hubry to an award's banquet in New York City.  It was made possible by my amazing friend, Tammy, who offered to babysit all three of my children for three days!!!  You can read about their adventures over here at her blog if you're interested :) http://lifeasiknowit-tammy.blogspot.com/2013/05/okie-fest.html

The last time we had gone on a trip alone without the Littles was exactly two years earlier.  I was pregnant with Raindrop, and I accompanied Hubry on a research trip to New York and New England.  Little did we know that we'd be moving to New England one year later.  Anyway, it was fun going back to the Big Apple together to celebrate the Big Peach.  Sorry, I couldn't resist.

The trip itself was not restful, as the city exudes busyness and importance, and Hubry and I were both feeling a bit nervous about the impending celebration.  Yet I am still so thankful to have been alongside him.  I am also sooo thankful that his sister, Charlotte, came up for the event as well.  She was such a rock for me at the dinner - someone to lean on and hide with.  I have decided that "mingling" with an open bar and a room full of historians is not my cup of tea.  But Hubry seemed to mingle with the best of them with ease (though he says he didn't actually feel at ease).

The dinner itself was much better, aside from the fact the Hubry was seated across the table from me and Charlotte.  Very, very weird.  We couldn't participate in any of the same conversations because we were too far away from each other.  Charlotte saved the day again because we were together and she's such a fearless conversationalist.  Hubry did a wonderful job with his 5 minutes of remarks, and Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, who was awarded a lifelong achievement in the field of US History, was most inspiring.

The next morning we met Charlotte and headed over to the Cloisters.  It was such a quiet, restful spot in the middle of such a busy city.  I wish we had been able to spend more time there, but alas we only had 1.5 hours or so.  It was also sweet to visit with my cousin and her family again, and to meet some college friends for a delicious Italian lunch.

Of course, I didn't take any photos of us all dressed up, but I did take a lot of pictures of the pretty herbs at the Cloisters :)  I am so thankful for Hubry, and astounded at God's grace to him through the Allens Nevins Prize...








2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Congratulations Tom!!! We googled "Allens Nevins Prize 2013 Tom Okie" and read all the wonderful happenings:) Rejoicing with you at God's good gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a great trip! Congrats to Tom and can't wait to read the book :-)

    ReplyDelete