Thursday, January 9, 2014

Copy work

We've been studying Manet and Copely over the past two trimesters, and I thought it would be fun to try and "copy" a painting.  I let everyone choose their favorite picture and study it, including as many details possible.  Ha!  It was quite a job, and a lot more difficult than I was thinking.  It was one of those on-a-whim ideas, and I wasn't even thinking about the fact that we've been studying two realist painters who painted pretty intricate scenes.  Songbird was smart in choosing the little boy playing the flute - it was the simplest picture, and I actually love how hers turned out.  Benjamin's picture of the Red Cross Knight was a bit more difficult, but I was really surprised at how long and carefully he worked on him.  I can definitely see the resemblance, and this is pretty much the first time I've seen him paint a person, so I was impressed.  I did the nativity scene, and after working on Mary, Joseph, and the cow I was too tired to go on.  Let's just say I don't think I have a second career in painting waiting for me :)  Anyway, I think it was a valuable lesson in attentiveness, and I think we'll definitely do this again with paintings, though maybe next time we'll do some impressionists :)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you guys have had a full late fall and early winter. Have fun! Miss you all. SO good to hear all of your voices last weekend! Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete