Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Today's Science Experiment

Today's science experiment was brought to us by Miss Raindrop.  While I was carrying the kids lunch to the table, Miss Raindrop was dumping out a bottle of 7th Generation dishwashing detergent on to our colorful wool rug.  When I walked back in to the scene, she was smearing the gel all over her body and smiling broadly.  After cleaning her up in the sink I tried to decide the best plan of action for cleaning up the rug.

I was reminded of the time I accidentally put hand dishwashing soap into the dishwasher.  If you've ever made this mistake, then you can probably picture the mess I'm about to describe.  I was in high school (I believe) and my older brother and sister and I were all hanging out near the kitchen when one of us noticed something bubbly.  We all ran in to find the floor near the dishwasher covered in suds and bubbles pouring out of the sides of the dishwasher.  It was totally hilarious, though definitely a situation needing immediate action and almost all the towels of the house.  So, I definitely didn't want to throw this rug in the washing machine, assuming the same results would ensue.

I thought about the bathtub, but I wanted some water with a bit more pressure.  So we took it outside and took turns spraying it was the jet stream of our hose nozzle.  After at least 15 minutes of spraying and a yard full of bubbles, we decided to call it quits and resume the activity after naptime...

Thank you Miss Raindrop - I can't wait to see what your next experiment is. :)

2 comments:

  1. sounds fun! glad it was in the summer so everyone could enjoy the bubbles:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dishwasher episode took a lot of bailing bubbles and soapy water with a cup too...that's what is most vivid in my mind. We'd run the dishwasher for a little bit, until it filled back up with suds and then bail some more... It was a very long process to rectify. I'm not sure where Mom and Dad were, but I think it was "fixed" before they got home...

    ReplyDelete