Thursday, April 6, 2017

Horses!

Songbird has been asking to go horseback riding for her birthday for 3 years now.  We have had a few different leads, but nothing has ever panned out.  Finally, while talking to my aunt and uncle over Christmas, I discovered that they are part owners of a wonderful horse ranch in Dahlonega, GA.  When my uncle heard that Songbird was longing for a horseback ride, he invited us to come and join them for a weekend.  Last weekend, the first weekend of April, her dreams were realized.

At first we thought that only the older two would be able to ride in the corral and have a lesson, but then it turned out that all three of them were allowed to ride.  They spent an hour and a half in the corral, and by the end of the time they were all riding and steering their own horses.  It was so fun to see them be so brave and independent.  I remember loving the feeling of being high up on a horse as a little girl.

After the corral ride, Songbird and I, along with about 10 other people, went on a trail ride together.  Songbird was 2nd in line with her horse Clinger, right behind one of the guides, and because my horse, Scarlet, had personal space issues, I was at the end of the procession, just in front of the other guide.  All that to say, I almost never saw Songbird because we were separated by so many people, but I knew I was having a wonderful time taking in the landscape and enjoying the most beautiful day of the year, (and I assumed she was as well).

After the horse ride, the kids decided to take a swim in the enormous saltwater pool.  It was absolutely freezing, but they had fun jumping in for a few minutes and then drying off in the sun.  Hubry and I had a nice chat by the pool while Cuatro slept peacefully in his carseat (maybe because he was up so much in the night!!!).

We are so thankful to my aunt and uncle for inviting us and for their generosity in making Songbird's birthday wish come true.  It's hard to believe she'll be double digits in one short month!!!  The weather was amazing, and the landscape was that crisp, bright green of early Spring.  It was cold in the night and morning, but warmed up beautifully during the day.  We got to roast marshmallows and have campfires and watch the children enjoy God's beautiful creation.  We are so thankful...



Raindrop's horse was named Frodo. He was the tallest, yet gentlest, horse of all.



The beautiful view from the top of the hill.

If Songbird's cold, you know it must be cold!!!

Songbird and my uncle as we left for the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment