Friday, November 2, 2012

Looks

Shortly after we moved to this vacationland, I remember sitting at the kitchen table looking through our health insurance papers, trying to decide how to decide what practice and doctor would be the best for our family.  We had narrowed our search to 1. family practice and 2. woman - mainly because I wanted one doctor who could treat all the kids and me.  But after that narrowing, I was still left with lists and lists of possible practices and doctors.  Since we didn't know too many people at the time, I had nothing to go on.  So I did what made the most sense to me - I read all the short bios and looked through all the photos and chose our doctor totally based on looks.  Seriously - after calling around to see who was still accepting new patients, I made a list of the possibilities, then looked at all their pictures online.  I chose the one that I thought looked extra caring and compassionate. :)  (We might have prayed a bit about it, too). Then I called to make an appointment.  And guess what???  I loved her, and she was totally caring and compassionate - just like the picture suggested.

Well, last weekend a girl from my Bible study of 10 women hosted a Fall Festival at her house.  My Bible study is a whole other story of Grace, but that's for another day. Anyway, we went to the festival, with our friend and houseguest Mr. Mike, excited to meet the husbands and children of the other women in the group, and I walked in the door to find....my doctor sitting on the floor with her one year-old son and her four year-old daughter.  Want to know what her daughter's name is?  Eliza!!!  Turns out her family goes to my friend's church, which is how they know each other, etc.  I had such a good time getting to know her better, and felt overwhelmed by Grace.  I had some serious feelings of anxiety over having to choose a doctor blind, and feel so thankful for the woman we chose.  So thankful.

Speaking of thankful, we were blessed to have Mr. Mike join us for a few short days.  He drove all the way up from Chattanooga just to be with us.  We really appreciate his friendship and encouragement through the years.  It was lovely to watch him interact with the kids - especially Bro, who can be a hard nut to crack. But Mr. Mike showed him such dignity, respect, and gentle care it didn't take him long for him to warm up.  He and his wife "raised" many, many children through their home daycare, and the love he has for children is quite evident.  Pictures to follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment